Furry Friends Network is an all-volunteer animal adoption organization dedicated to the welfare of animals. Our goal is not only to place orphaned animals in forever homes but also to promote responsible pet ownership and reduce the pet overpopulation crisis.
Consistent with our philosophy, we have a few basic requirements for individuals adopting from our organization.
1. We require ALL four legged members of your household to enjoy the safety of living as indoor pets only and experience appropriate daily exercise. In addition, we will not adopt to any homes that have dog doors allowing unattended outdoor access as well as homes with outdoor kennels or dog runs – these must be removed from the property in order to adopt from us.
2. We expect all dogs will have adequate (as defined by the needs of the dog) DAILY OFF PROPERTY exercise. Please read our DOG EXERCISE NEEDS article.
3. We also require that no dog will be alone for more than 8 hours TOTAL per work day without a mid-day exercise break.
4. Interested in adopting a puppy? Puppies take loads of time, attention and training. Therefore, we require that puppies under 6 months of age will not be alone for more than 4 hours at a time in an 8 hour workday. We highly encourage working families to consider older puppies and adult dogs, but if your heart is set on a puppy, please consider doggie daycare.
5. We require that dogs never be left alone outside including when the family is home. There are many dangers associated with leaving a dog outside – dog could be stolen or escape, could ingest something toxic or dangerous, be attacked by another animal, be taunted or mistreated by another human, etc.
6. We require ALL four legged members of your household to be spayed or neutered. Please read BENEFITS OF SPAY/NEUTER.
7. We require ALL four legged members of your household to receive annual veterinary care to ensure wellness and currency of vaccines, that canine members receive flea/tick and heartworm preventatives, and that feline members have been tested for Feline Aids and Feline Leukemia. Read about FIV and FeLV. Canine heartworm disease is a serious and potentially fatal condition. As such, we require that all canines are tested annually (including current dogs) for heartworm and lyme diseases, and that they receive monthly heartworm preventative year-round. Read more about HEARTWORM DISEASE.
8. FFN will not adopt to any home that smells of tobacco smoke. Second hand smoke is very dangerous for animals.
9. We ask that you become educated on the pet food controversy and select a nutritiously balanced food since your four legged family members will eat this each and every day of their lives. Please read our BETTER BEHAVIOR THROUGH THE FOOD DISH article. We require that ALL four-legged members of the household are fed a good quality diet. Canines must be fed a food that is rated 3.5 stars or above on www.dogfoodadvisor.com.
10. Cats and kittens are social creatures and greatly benefit from being with other pets; therefore, kittens under the age of 6 months cannot be adopted as single pets – they must be adopted to a home with another cat or dog, or applicant must adopt two together. For other kitties entrusted to our care, the bio will specify each cat’s preferences (good as a single kitty, best with another cat, likes/dislikes dogs, etc.) Please carefully read the postings to gain insight about the kitty, allowing us to help you find the purrfect match.
11. We expect all applicants to have plans for both long and short term care for their pets in the event of their absence or inability to care for their pet until FFN can assist with rehoming.
12. As part of our adoption agreement require that you and your adopted canine attend a minimum of one group basic obedience course within 4 months of adoption. If adopting a puppy under 4 months old we also require a group puppy socialization course be started immediately upon adoption. Please read our TRAINING ESSENTIALS article.
We suggest you review our Puppy Adoption Contract, Dog Adoption Contract, and/or Cat Adoption Contract prior to applying to ensure you are comfortable with it. Furry Friends Network believes our adoption requirements are the BASIC elements every animal should have to live long, happy and healthy lives. If you are unable or unwilling to care for your animal according to these basic requirements, we ask that you respect our animal care philosophy and apply elsewhere. There are thousands of shelters and rescues, all operate according to their own set of animal care expectations and requirements.